Saturday, July 16, 2011

Harry's Brooklyn


I
Structure of script
Overall it is my new interpretation of life, death and spirituality presented in a coming of age story that also reveals Brooklyn as a deeply rich, fascinating and utterly unique place. I will interweave the story of my life with Harry's to highlight similarities in the lives of all people and to stress my belief that life is much simpler than most tend to believe.





Harry's Brooklyn: working sreenplay
Harry's Brooklyn

Opening:

the phone call Dad calls my phone as I am in the car with Jenny and mom on the way to an appointment“ Mike Grandpa's in the hospital. He stopped breathing several times. It doesnt sound good.”
Me to jen and mom “Al right forget about the appointment. Lets head for Brooklyn.” Jen and mom faces confused “ Why?” me: With composure “Grandpa's in the hospital and he stopped breathing several times. Lets go. I'll drive”
driving slow with concentration
Stop at a rest stop
From a distance I see mom crying kneeling by the car
We all already know
We arrive at Coney Island hospital,
I fear and despise the the guard who stands between the waiting room and emergency room. I hate authority because its a wall that prevents me from freely going to Harry, the most important person in my life and I feel time intensely. Each second I lose is crushing. I need to be in control and the lack of angers me. I get to see Harry. He's unconsciuos but I am comforted that he is “alive” and in the hospital with doctors, who at the time I still held in high regard.
I go out to the car and leave Jen and mom in the waiting room

It Friday in the late afternoon and the beginning of shabbat “time for rest” is approaching. I am approached by two Hassidic men who anxiuosly ask me if I can give them a ride home. I don't want to help them as I dont want to leave Grandpa and I don't know the area. But in a flustered state I say OK. On the ride home I tell them about grandpa and say that I too am Jewish. I sense they do not respect my liberal atheistic judaism. How ever they say they will prey for him. I sense that prayers will not help. We arrive at their house 5 minutes late. They tell me to wait as they wish to pay me. I refuse but they insist. They come back and hand me $100.
I head back for the hospital. I have no idea how to get back. I'm starting to panic. Everything looks the same. In a frenzy I press and I find my way back. I hurry into the hospital. I don't see jenny or mom. My panic heightens. I exchange nasty words with the guard. A woman in the waiting room points me in a direction they had headed. I find them eating in a diner and I begin to calm down.

I feel dirty having the $100 in my pocket on this day when Grandpa is my only concern. I decide to give half to the guard and the other half to a woman who looked in need.

That night I spent alone with him in the hospital. My uncle Robert came by with some food for me and before he left said “if he wakes up tell him I'm thinking of him. Take it easy Michael.” I felt a sense of caring and emotion from Robert something that I rarely if ever felt. Immediately my inner sense told me I would never get a chance to deliver that message.

Camera fade out

Camera fade in: in hospital room Harry in yoga corpse pose. Mom and I at his bedside.

My narrative:



My Grandfather suffered a massive stroke at the base of his brain stem. He was unconscious, but still alive breathing with the help of a respirator. I was realistic and knew that his chances for survival were slim.
But while everyone else was talking about him in the past tense as if he were already gone, I held on to hope.
I visited him every day. I could to talk to him, play music for him, and hold his hand. On my last visit I felt something was different. He seemed to ever so slightly open his eyes and look at me. When I reached out to touch him he motioned as if to say, “let me sleep”. The next day he passed away. I am not sure if my interpretation of his subtle movements were real or imagined, but the memory is beautiful and haunting to me.

Focus on eyes

Song: Paolo Nutini “Autumn”
Fade out




In the beginning
Harry was born in the lower eastside on March 19, 1921, two days before the start of spring. His father picked him up from the hospital in a Rolls Royce. As his mother holds him in her hands, she whispers sweet words of Yiddish. When he was two years old, they packed and moved to Brooklyn where he would spend the rest of his life.

Song: art garfunkel reworking of “just over the Brooklyn bridge” less cheesines

#



Harry and his family
Harry loves and adores his four sisters, especially Ellie who has Down’s Syndrome. He watches out for them and feels lucky to have them. In the fall of 1927 two of his sisters got “the cough”. They stayed in bed and waited for the doctor to visit. The doctor examines the girls. Quietly, he takes Harry's mother aside. Everyone already knows, but as the doctor confirms this, the family enters a mourning for what they know will come.

Song: Eva Cassidy “Fields of Gold” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMpJG7yj5d0

#
Harry and friends
Harry Stern is a feisty kid, with brown eyes and kinky layered hair (jewfro). The year is 1929 and he’s eight years old. He’s known around his neighborhood as the best stickball player in Brighton Beach.
Harry and his friends are always getting' into trouble, but this year is different from all the rest. The game goes like this. Each person selects a card from the deck. The one with lowest card loses. The loser has to go over to Old Morry’s house, knock on the door and ask if “joe blow” is home. Morris is a bitter old man and all the kids love to pester him.
Harry wasn’t used to losing, but this time he does. Harry reluctantly walked over to Morry’s . The plan was to knock on the door ask for “joe blow” and run as fast as he can before Morry catches him and whacks him with a rolled up newspaper. Harry is successful and everything goes as planned. Wheww!!
Harry makes it back to the Park and the guys convince him to take another try. Being that Harry never loses, he figures that there is no way he could lose again.
But Harry’s luck had run out. He lost. His faced turned white. What was he going to do?
Quick on his feet, he came up with an idea that just might work. He headed home to see his little sister Jesse. He told her that he needed to get dressed up like a girl. Jesse got out the lipstick and Harry stepped into a dress.
He lightly knocked on Morry’s door. As Harry’s eyes met his, he sweetly asked in a falsetto voice “is Joseph Blow home?
Morry was caught off guard leaving Harry with enough time to get away.


The “Father”
Sam and Harry
Harry doesn’t know what to make of his father, Sam. As a ten year old, they would walk along the street together. Harry would often look up at him with wonder and awe. One day everything would change. As a young lady passes by, his father whispers, “I could have her.” Harry knows this sixteen year old girl and he has respect for women in spite of the vulgar example that his dad led. It is then that Harry knows he will not follow in his father’s footsteps.

You did not want to cross Sam Stern, his temper was legendary. Once when a customer refused to pay up for a paint job, Sam covered the apartment in black, sticky tar. Sam held many jobs, Police Chief, Fire Chief, and for some reason he always had money for new toys, like a speed boat or fancy car.
Whenever Harry’s dad stopped by, he always as handed him a one dollar bill. At that time, it was enough to do just about anything on Coney Island. First stop was Nathan’s for a five cent Hotdog. Five cents would also buy you admission to a Freak Show. With names like Zippo and Pippo and the Bearded Lady, Harry felt like he was on another planet.

Insert coney island 1920’s 30’s research

Skippy
Skippy was much like Sam. He fathered five pups and left them with their mother. Skippy lived in Harry’s apartment and frequently relieved himself on the family couch. He was “King of the Neighborhood” or at least that’s what he thought. This is a common delusion among most dogs.



The Chimp
Harry came home from school one day to a very big surprise. A chimpanzee greeted him at the door. Harry’s father, had bought the monkey from a guy who did sidewalk shows. His father figured that if a monkey could be trained to grind an organ and act like a kid, he could probably be trained to retrieve beer from the ice chest. The chimp’s name was Chump. “Chump the chimp”. Unfortunately, things weren’t working out and his father was talking about getting rid of Chump. Harry couldn’t lose Chump. He was his new best friend. Once again he needed a idea.
Harry asked his father if Chump could stay if Chump brought in some money. His father agreed for the time being. Harry recognized Chump had a lot of strength and thought that he might make a good boxer.

Insert coney island 1920’s 30’s research

Harry borrowed his friend Mikey’s boxing gloves and brought Chump over to the ring over in Coney Island. The famous Max Baer was knocking out guys left and right. As chump‘s turn came up, Harry got more and more nervous. Chump was about one-eigth the size of Max. The bell rang and the fight was on. But not for long, because Chump hopped on to Max’s shoulders from behind. Disoriented, Max stumbled. Chump turned around and sprung his little arms. Fifteen hits to the face in one minute was enough to take down the Bear. Chump was a champ and Harry was rich.



Duddy’s Apartment
Harry and Duddy were first cousins, so they hung out occasionally. Duddy lived on the second floor of his building. The window was directly above a bus stop. People were always standing, waiting for the bus. As two wisecrackers, Duddy and Harry loved to harass people. They would each take a turn with their pea shooters. The object was to hit someone without the person knowing what happened. Harry was a good aim and he spotted the perfect victim. A man with no hair. The pea ricotched beautifully off of his shiny bald head. What Duddy and Harry did not expect was revenge.
The steaming red faced man knew exactly where that pea had come from. He was sick of people taunting a man with no hair. He stormed up the stairs and pounded the door as hard as he could. Harry and Duddy hid under the bed and held their breath. Three minutes later the racket stopped. The door stayed hinged and Harry survived another day.


Yiddish, the Secret Language
Harry’s parents were Russian and Polish immigrants. They spoke a secret language that they taught to him, Yiddish. All of his friends knew the language and this allowed them to communicate secretly with each other. When the boys from Sheepshead bay came on to Harry’s turf all of his guys were ready. Although the Sheepshead Bay boys were older and stronger, Harry’s crew had the edge. Larry was based on the roof and the rest of the guys spread around the block. Each boy was armed with a pocketful of rocks. Larry would give up the positions of the Sheepshead Bay boys calling out in Yiddish…….


Shlomo the homeless guy
Unfortunately Harry and his friends weren’t always the “good guys”. Shlomo slept on park benches and wandered the neighborhood, never bothering any body. Harry’s group liked to practice their aim by taking pot shots at him. He would normally never fight back, but one day he did. The rock flew directly into Harry’s mouth chipping his front tooth. Mistakenly Harry ran to his father, who was an expert at revenge and showed him his tooth. Harry wanted revenge but not the kind that Sam would bring. Shlomo was beaten senseless and left for dead. Harry held great power, but from that day on he knew he had to be careful with its use.

Song : Bruce springsteen (acoustic) “the wrestler”
repeat for glimpses of my struggles

Teenage years
summers at duddy's house. racetracks and girls
Harry's attempt to untie a corset with little success



Before he leaves for the war
Dream sequence: Before Harry met Sylvia there was Marie, the professional roller skater.


Army Signal Corps
Harry works up in the poles, behind and below, the war is raging. In the barracks Tony says, “Harry I should let you have some of this French girl” Getting an STD was not on Harry’s wish list. The young French girl he spent time with was only a friend, who helped pick out gifts for the young American girl, Sylvia, waiting at home.Harry would always remain faithful.
incorporate philosophy of anne frank , despite everything i still believe people are good
As he looks through the daily reports, he reads “Max Klein killed in action” It was his best friend and the words hit him like a bullet.
Harry goes out for a walk alone at night and as he shuffles along he breaks down into uncontrollable tears. He thinks about all they had been through together. As an atheist there is not much solace only acceptance. His tears begin to recede. He sits down and looks up toward the stars.

Song: bruce springsteen “tom jode”” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKKpmbcSe5E
repeat for glimpses of my bipolar hell
I'm completely alone in my room. Days upon days pass. I feel as though my life is a living hell. My hell is dark and deep. I am in a free fall reaching depths I did not know existed. The result is similar to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. When I do come back I am deeply scarred. I have been through battle


The Return Home
The wedding at the Handwerkers house (Nathan’s)

(only the music can be heard peoples voices are muted)Song: Ben Folds “The Luckiest” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XwAKrLidw
montage of photos and slow video, glimpses of joy. Harry and Sylvia dancing holding each other close, smiling. The party is filled with people all Jewish. A result of the old world

#

interwoven with glimpses of my wedding
Sayra and I moving to the same rhythm. Our party is made up of few people from all different cultures. Spanish, Asian, American. A result of the modern mixed world



Watch Shop
Harry had become a watch repairman, a profession that requires patience and a deft touch. His coworkers come from all walks of life. A young black man named Claude Brown works in the shop. Claude would later go on to write the classic book Manchild In the Promisedland. But before his fame he would frequently rob the store. It was something everyone knew, but no one would say.
Mr Fujiyama was another character of the shop. He was a new immigrant who struggled to understand the American way. Mr. Fujiyama asked Harry why Americans would waste so much money on birthday gifts. When his young son turned 1 years old, he decided to give him a practical toy to play with. He believed that his son would find enjoyment with cardboard. More specifically it was the cardboard that is left after a roll of toilet paper is finished. It was ingenious, melding the ideas of recycling, thrift, and fun.
----------------------------------------------------------




Fill in later years (vitamins, tai chi, feeling like a kid again)

struggle between "natural" and "unnatural", eastern western, vitamins medicine
heart problems, solgar vit, gary null, the psychologist, dr unger, "I don't understand" the date with the nurse

The evolution to who he ultimately became
Shuns money
Shuns fame
Values simplicity
Man of peace
Quiet inspiration

Harry would always say “I feel like a kid.” “My doctor says I'm the healthiest patient he has.” He felt as though through vitamins he had found the key to health. Unfortunately, his guide in this world, Gary Null he had never met. He listened to him religiously. But Harry treated his health alone and silently. He was not aware that he had gone too far at times and as a result he had actually done harm to his body
All really was not well and he could not accept this. He had problems with his heart and for this he sought traditional medical care. But as he continued to have problems he confided in me “ I don't understand.” He was at a loss for why this youthful spirit in a body that he thought had so much time left was faltering and he wasnt able to fix it.

On the outside he was full of youthfullness and energy but inside he had suffered greatly. He was determined to stick by his wife who ordered him around, showed him no love and slowly tortured him. It was the right thing to do he thought, the honorable thing to do. He was determined to be everything his father wasn't. He confided a flood of personal feeling with a young female psychologist. When she visited as he layed in the hospital she told my mother “ this was the first and only time he listened to me. He always had so much to say”

Funeral: insert my eulogy

Return to my narrative:
song: "Let it be me" Ray la montagne play softly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LWpw3CMCEg

#
He left behind in body what seemed like a shattered family. I began to forget , continued my own suffering, and drifted thru life, with occasional moments of clarity. Slowly guided by his inspiration, not always knowing it came from him…. In what seemed like an instant, but took a lifetime…. I too begun to wake up.


start softly, slowly turn up
Song: Louie Armstrong “what a wonderful world” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IIXeR5OUI&feature=related

camera fade in: a bird takes off for flight. through his eyes we see natural, raw beauty flying over mountains, rivers,
valleys. It is the complete opposite of Brooklyn, a concrete jungle, where most of the film takes place, but it reveals the truth and is the beauty Harry was always looking for and perhaps never or rarely found in his time on earth.

End
For Grandpa



The following are mostly written to jog my memory as I try to describe the realtionship between Harry and I
From my earliest memories I was always in awe of Harry. I was fascinated by his stories true or not. I loved his bozo the clown hair and was always eager to rub the bald top of his head. I cherished every single moment with him. As we lived 16 hours away by car in Tennessee, I would only see him 2 times a year.
Once while my grandparents prepared to leave my grandmother said to me “michael we're leaving are you going to miss us?” I responded “I don't care if you leave but I want Grandpa to stay.”
My childhood was mainly friendless accompanied by cartoons. I had often told Grandpa how amazing these cartoons were that I was obsessed with. One saturday morning I convinced to take a look. His was thoroughly unimpressed and left after a few minutes. I was truly perplexed that he did not awsomeness that I saw.

One Hannukah spent in Brooklyn at their dingy and very Brooklyn apartment. I threw one of my frequent temper tantrums. I was very angry at the toys I had received and spun into a rage. My father too k me to the incinerator with my toy and threatened to drop it down the firey hot chute.

On on of their visits to Tennessee, they took Jenny and I to Swenson's for ice cream. I was 4 and chose bubble gum ice cream of course for all the bubble gum. My grandmother then preceded to throw away all of the bubblegum except for one piece. It was then that I realized how cruel and bitter she was. However looking back chewing bubblegum while eating ice cream does in fact seem strange, stupid, and dangerous.

While eating pizza at Mr. Gatti's I began to have a craving for my cartoons. I said to Harry. “Ask them to put the 'toons on.” After repeated requests he relented. Music started playing and I continued to complain. “What's the matter?, he said, “They put some tunes on.”
On one visit to brooklyn Harry took Jenny and I to the park. I was about 4 years old wandered away, and got lost. Through my tears every building looked the same and I was certain I would never see my family again. A fat Italian tried to comfort me to no avail. Luckily Grandpa found me.

As a teenager I wanted Harry to experience the amazing food at the United Nations restaurant. He called up to make reservations and they told him about their “jacket policy” We arrived the next day in our rain coats.

The Nurse
While in a manhattan hospital for a heart procedure Harry was attended by a beautiful asian nurse. I got her phone number and we set up to go on a date.
Before I headed out of his apartment for the date Harry said. “I wish I could be there on the date. I wish I was a fly on the wall and I could watch the whole thing.
It turned out the date was a disaster and one of the most uncomfortable experiences in my life. If I could turn back time I would have gladly traded places with him.
As a teenager while my undiagnosed bipolar continued for a short while I was very hurt by Harry. Jenny and I were spending time alone with Harry and Sylvia. They jealously denied our requests to visit my dad's 96 year old aunt. I ended up crying for which my Grandmother coldly scolded me “Boys arent supposed to cry. After our visit Grandpa told my mom that they both believed there was something deeply wrong with me.
relationship between grandpa and I
my sickness
my adolescence- phone conversations


No comments:

Post a Comment